The Cambridge Scottish Festival - Come And Explore
The 44th Cambridge Scottish Festival
2019 marks the 44th annual Cambridge Scottish Festival. The Scottish Festival is organized each year by a group of dedicated volunteers who want to celebrate and promote their Scottish Heritage and the Scottish History of Cambridge and Southwestern Ontario.
The Cambridge Scottish Festival starts on Friday July 19 with a Concert on site at Churchill Park. Gates open at 7:00 pm and it runs to 10:30pm.
This year, the Concert is intended to be an event for the entire family. The Concert begins with Celtic singer and musicians - The American Rogues, The Mudmen, Tom Keefer of the Celtic Cross in addition to the highland dancers. Blair Scottish Country Dancers will entertain the audience and get everyone up dancing. Audience participation is encouraged.
On Saturday July 20, the Festival begins early with participants usually arriving between 6:30- 7:00 am. Gates officially open at 8:00am
The morning will feature a number of events:
· * Highland Dance competition. Over 150 dancers have registered for the dance competition.
· * PPBSO (Pipers and Pipe Band Society of Ontario) will run the individual and professional piping and drumming competitions.
· * The Men tug of war competition will feature the teams from the Canadian Armed Forces
· * The Heavy Events will begin with the Caber Toss and hammer throw events.
· * Again this year we will have the Children’s Glen area. This proved to be a huge success as it allowed the young children a chance to participate in the festival. We want to ensure that the Highland Festival is an event for the entire family.
· * At noon the Welcoming Ceremonies will commence with the introduction of the VIPs. This year we are pleased to have Gayle O’Brien, Clan Chieftain as the Festival.
The opening ceremonies will include:
· * 30 bands making up our Massed Bands including the Grade 1 and Grade 2 Pipe Bands. These are the best pipe bands in North America and are among the best in the world.
· * Peel Region Pipe Band
· * 79th Highlanders
· * Motor City Pipes and Drums Detroit
· * St Andrew’s College Association Pipe Band – New Zealand
· * The Pipe Bands represent the best of the best from across Ontario
The afternoon events include:
· * Pipe band Competition
· * Highland Cattle, Blacksmith, Quilt making, Antique Cars, City of Cambridge Fire Engine and the “Jacobite” re-enactment.
· * A Tug of War Championship between the kids of the children and the winners of the Tug of War Championship.
The Festival will officially closes at 5:30pm with the Closing Ceremonies including the second Massed Bands and the awarding of the trophies for the Pipe Band Competition.
In addition to all of the events and activities, we have over 30 vendors that will showcase their Scottish or Celtic wares.
2019 Clan Chieftain for the 2019 Festival, Ms. Gayle O’Brien. Gayle O’Brien is a radio and TV broadcaster with deep Scottish roots.
Mayor Kathryn McGarry Joins Festival organizer Duncaun McLeod, Clan Chieftain Gayle O’Brien and highland Dancers
Thanks To The Rising Dough Scottish Bakery
This year’s Media Day was sponsored by Laura and Ruby MacFarlane from the Rising Dough Scottish Bakery. Without the generous donations from our sponsors, the Cambridge Scottish Festival could not happen.
(Grade 1 is the highest ranking band)